State Capture Report, ANC Deployment Committee Report, Sona 2022 – The Citizen
Click on the links below for the full story or visit our home page for the latest news.
The fact that President Cyril Ramaphosa did not express his concern about the impact of the state capture under the Jacob Zuma administration, which saw billions of taxpayer dollars being siphoned off by the Guptas, was the sign that he was simply concerned about the final ascent to the Union buildings, political analysts said on Wednesday.
During his testimony last year at the State Capture Commission of InquiryRamaphosa admitted that there had been widespread state corruption while he was Zuma’s deputy, but said he had not resigned as it would have hampered his efforts to resist the rot.
Ramaphosa, who was Zuma’s deputy for four years, told Associate Chief Justice Raymond Zondo: “I had five options: resign, speak; to nod and encourage; stay and remain silent; or stay and resist.
Presiding Deputy Minister of State Security Zizi Kodwa said South Africans should not be concerned about the “general” security of South Africa and President Cyril Ramaphosa.
This after Ramaphosa left the African National Congress Women’s League (ANCWL) Lilian Ngoyi’s conference at Limpopo on Thursday ahead of her January 8 speech, and in light of the shooting in parliament and the attack on the Constitutional Court this week.
Also Read: Ramaphosa Leaves ANCWL Memorial Lecture Due to Covid Regulations
In one video shared by Newzroom Afrika, Kodwa was seen whispering something in Ramaphosa’s ear before he exited the building with his security team.
The recently released minutes of the ANC deployment committee meetings show how the ruling party apparently predetermined the appointment of judges, Chapter 9 institution heads and boards of directors of state-owned enterprises, in a way the opposition has described as “making a mockery of state appointment processes.”
The ANC Deployment Committee minutes from 2018 to 2021 was made public by the Commission of Inquiry into the Allegations of State Capture, chaired by Acting Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, just before the release on Tuesday of the first part of the report on the capture by the state.
The minutes come after it emerged to the commission in April last year that the deployment committee had not kept minutes of its meetings from 2012 to 2017.
Jacob Zuma Foundation spokesperson Mzwanele Manyi criticized the Zondo commission report, calling the findings against him “garbage”.
The first of three reports was released to the public on Tuesday evening after the commission’s chairman, Acting Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, handed it over to President Cyril Ramaphosa.
the 874-page report appointed Manyi as one of the state capture “facilitators” during his tenure as Director General (DG) of the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS).
According to the report, replacing the former GCIS DG Themba Maseko with a lot was one of the first acts of state capture by the Guptas.
The African National Congress (ANC) in Parliament suddenly changed its mind about the use of the city of Cape Town facilities to host this year’s State of the Nation Address (Sona) and could accept the prosecutor’s offer.
The ANC caucus changed its tone on Wednesday, after initially rejecting Cape Town Mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis’s offer to use alternative places for Sona following the fire which damaged Parliament.
Hill-Lewis had proposed that the Cape Town Council Chamber be used for sittings of the National Assembly, while the Grand Parade and Town Hall would be available to accommodate Sona.
A small fire broke out on Wednesday evening on the upper campus of the University of Cape Town (UCT) and was extinguished about two hours later.
In a statement, the university said the fire broke out on vacant land near campus. There was no damage or danger to human life as the flames were far from any infrastructure and buildings, he added.
The cause of the fire has not yet been identified. An investigation will be carried out on this subject.
The Parliament building has been officially turned over to the Priority Criminal Investigations Directorate, also known as the Hawks, to investigate the circumstances of the devastating fire that began on Sunday.
Engineers from the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure are also on hand to determine if the affected buildings are safe for Hawks to access.
Hawks investigators are expected to have access to the buildings once they receive confirmation from the multidisciplinary team of engineers, including structural, electrical and forensic experts.