Sudanese prosecution detains two senior forensic experts

The Sudanese prosecution has arrested two forensic experts on charges linked to medical reports that victims of the violent dispersal of the sit-in were buried outside the army headquarters in Khartoum in 2019.

In November 2020, the attorney general found mass graves near the al-Markhiyat mountains northwest of Omdurman for the remains of civilians who were killed in the bloody attack by security forces and militiamen outside the neighborhood. general of the army.

The former director of the forensic authority and the suspended director of the Omdurman mortuary have been arrested for the illegal burial of the victims, the Sudan Tribune reported on Saturday, citing judicial officials.

Army forces and members of the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) carried out unreasonable acts of violence to disperse the peaceful sit-in outside the army headquarters on June 3, 2019.

More than 200 people were killed in the brutal attack and 1,000 were injured.

These acts included “extrajudicial killings and acts of torture, excessive use of force, sexual and gender-based violence and the enforced disappearance of detained protesters,” the newspaper reported.

However, health officials said the death toll reached 85, he added.

The director of the Omdurman mortuary has been accused of releasing an autopsy report on the circumstances of the murder of a Sudanese youth under torture in an RSF prison.

He claimed that the death was not the result of a criminal act but rather a pathological cause, stressing that there was no visible sign of violence on the body.

Following a request from relatives of the deceased, the public prosecutor ordered a re-autopsy. The probe report revealed that there were bruises under the scalp and on both sides of the chest, which was not proven in the doctor’s report.

She concluded that the death was due to a cerebral hemorrhage resulting from a head trauma, contrary to what the report of the arrested doctor indicated.

A peaceful sit-in outside the army headquarters on April 6, 2019 led to the overthrow of the 30-year-old Islamist regime of Omar al-Bashir in Sudan.

Protesters remained in the streets, mainly outside the army headquarters, after the fall of Bashir, to pressure the military to share power with civilians.

They demanded that the regime’s fallen figures be held accountable and that its political and economic structure be dismantled.

During negotiations between the army and rebel leaders on June 3, the military forces dispersed the sit-in.

The head of the Transitional Military Council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, then announced the end of talks, telecommunications companies cut internet service, and protesters in Khartoum and other cities have been prosecuted for more than a day after the end of the sit-in.

Comments are closed.